Founded by the Reverend John Flynn, it began its aero medical operations in the Northern Territory in 1939.
Enjoy the heroic tales of the birth and growth of the RFDS. Learn about the history and the activities of the RFDS’s pilots, engineers, doctors and nurses, and the experiences of the patients that are carried and cared for each day.
See, experience and learn through the wonder of technology as this facility brings history to life.
- 2 x Virtual Reality Stories of the RFDS - Relive the true experience of patient Gene Hildebrand and see what its like to fly with an RFDS Pilot.
- Life size hologram of John Flynn the Founder of the Flying Doctor Service tells his story of the birth and growth of the RFDS. Includes headset audio translation in Japanese, German, French and Simplified Chinese.
- Two Interactive story telling mini ghosts. Meet Alf Traeger and Nurse Kathy who answer selected questions from a touch panel.
- Touchscreen Portals allow the visitor to learn about the history and the activities of the RFDS pilots, engineers, doctors and nurses.
- Touch and Learn - The history of the RFDS Aircraft and the Women of the RFDS.
- Touch and Play - Children can learn while playing an interactive game and with digital painting.
- A decommissioned RFDS Pilatus PC 12 aircraft that allows visitors inside the aircraft and experience a fully aero medically equipped fitout.
- Pedal Radio invented by Alf Traeger and used by people of the Outback.
- Story Boards that provide very informative reading of the history of the Royal Flying Doctor Service.